Adobe Acrobat Reader (For Windows)

Talk about Adobe Acrobat PDF reader (Windows only). Acrobat is the de facto standard used to create PDF files, present multiple documents in a PDF Portfolio, and even add multimedia. All in a single file. 

Keywords Adobe, Acrobat, Reader, Windows, Problem, highlighting

Problem highlighting

Adobe Acrobat Reader (For Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe Acrobat Reader (For Windows)

AuthorMessage
David_Reeds (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Problem highlighting

Windows XP SP2, Acrobat 7.0.8 Professional, Acer Extensa 2300

Highliter only highlights about upper 1/5 of any page. When I receive an email PDF attachment and want to highlight some text, I get the message "This page has only an image of a scanned page - not text characters. Do you want to run 'character analysis' to try to make text on this page accessible?" When I say "yes, I eventually get to "PDF Output Style:searchable image (compact). Then, once conversion is done (agonizingly slowly) I can hilight normally.

On the other hand, if I get a PDF file on CD I went to Tools, OCR recognition.....and eventually to "searchable image (compact) as above.However, I thin get the message "Could not perform OCR because this page contains no renderable text."

I have tried the Help pages and find nothing at all on "character analysis" or renderable text"

In both of the above scenarios the "notes" function works just fine - it is only the hilighting (and the underlining) that are driving me nuts.

Surely there must be something wrong here...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have a great need for highlighting and without this working easily I might as well not have spent all the money on 7.0 Professional - useless for my purposes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Problem highlighting

Addition - I just tried to use the hilighter and underline tool on a PDF I downloaded from the web and it works just fine.

On the CD - I have copied the file from the CD to my laptop so I could re-copy it back to the CD when I finished editing. Thus it seems there must be some problem in the way my client is putting the file onto the CD before sending it to me, as the program itself, now that I thought about trying it on a web PDF, seems to work OK.

Solutions please!

Thanks
William_A._Davis (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Problem highlighting

You can only use the highlighter and underline tool on actual text. Graphics do not allow the use of these tools.

OCR can only be done on pure graphics. If there is any graphics on the page, you can not do OCR. I suspect the message said "contains renderable text", but then maybe the picture had no text in it - but usually that just gives no result.

An alternative is to use the line or box tool and just mark up the PDF with lines. Highlight prints out as boxes anyway and you will see about the same result.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem highlighting

I understand I cannot do graphics or handwritten scanned materials - I am trying to underline and/or hilight pure text.

"OCR can only be done on pure graphics. If there is any graphics on the page, you can not do OCR." I presume there is a typo here, but for a "newbie" this is a bit confusing. In fact, although I thank Mr. David (or whoever he is) this whole message is rather confusing.

I am beginning to understand that the primary problem seems to be the way the file is initially scanned and/or converted to PDF. As examples: (1) Nothing except PDF files downloaded from the web allows me to - without any intervening steps - hilight files. With web-downloaded files it is no problem at all. (2) Email attachments and SOME CDs allow me to easily OCR and then things work OK. (3) On the other hand, some other CDs I have received will not allow me either hilight them directly, or to OC with a simple click. If I try to go to the "Documents"....route to OCR, then I get the irritating message about "renderable text."

As an aside, I find it very disappointing that for a program as expensive as Professional, there is no help with the term "renderable text". What in the heck is "renderable text"? From Googling a bit this seems to be a major problem... Is Adobe paying any attention?

Is there some way I should advise my clients to perform these tasks before copying to a CD to send to me, so that I will be able to hilight, or even be able to OCR the final product?

Anyone have any suggestions? Does it make sense that I cannot hilight a routine PDF file?
Aandi_Inston (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem highlighting

Renderable text is, simply, text. There is somewhere on the page text
already, so Acrobat refuses to try to do OCR.

Aandi Inston

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem highlighting

Sorry if you don't like my late night typos. However, you can only have graphics. If there is anything else on the page, you can not do OCR - the renderable text that Aandi mentioned.
Robin_DePari (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem highlighting

I am having problems with highlighting. Using Windows XP Prof, Adobe Standard 6.0.

The highlighter tool is having problems selecting the text I want to hightlight. It often highlights only part of the text I've selected, or sometimes the line above the section I wanted highlighted. It can take a full minute just to highlight one word. The controls just don't work properly. Select Text tool for highlighting doesn't work, it selects text, but then when I click Highlight tool, it unselects text and brings up Highlight tool.

Then, I finally finished highlighting document. I went in to update it and now I cannot un-highlight anything. Cannot select markup to delete it. Can only delete the text, leaving just the highlight. How do I un-highlight if I cannot select markup?

Can anyone help?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem highlighting

You use the highlight tool to undo the highlight.
   Adobe Acrobat Reader (For Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe Acrobat Reader (For Windows)All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1